REMINDER TO SHIPPERS OF PROPER SEALING PROCEDURES FOR LOADING CONTAINERS
Swire Shipping advocates and requires the use of high security bolt type container seals, that meet the criteria of ISO PAS 17712, as an integral part of supply chain security. The objective in using this seal type is to minimize the risk of unauthorized access into the container, thereby reducing the risk of cargo pilferage and the introduction of contraband. This is in the interest of shipper, carrier and recipient of the container.
Supply chain security must start with shipper. Immediately after a container is stuffed, a high security seal must be applied, and the seal number documented.
To help protect your cargo during transit and ensure Swire Shipping’s compliance with sealing requirements established under the ISPS code and Customs Trade Partnership Against
Terrorism (CTPAT) program, the following container seal policy must be always observed:
All containers moving under a Swire Shipping bill of lading must have a high security bolt type seal, meeting criteria of ISO PAS 17712, always affixed to it during transport.
- COMPLETE SYSTEMATIC 7 POINTS CONTAINER INSPECTION PRIOR LOADING CONTAINER. SPECIAL
ATTENTION TO LOCKING MECHANISM WORKS PROPERLY AND NO-LOSE BOLTS/FITTINGS.
- SWIRE SHIPPING RECOMMENDS THAT SHIPPER WILL TAKE PICTURES OF LOADED CONTAINER PRIOR TO
CLOSING CONTAINER AND ONCE AGAIN OF CONTAINER’S DOORS ONCE CLOSED AND SEALED. A CLOSE
PHOTO OF SEAL AFFIXED IS ALWAYS RECOMMENDED
- SEALS MUST BE HANDLED BY A TRAINED PERSON AND, WHEN SEALING CONTAINER ALWAYS HAVE A
SECOND PERSON TO WHITNESS SEALING AND COMPLETED VVTT PROCESS (View – Verify – Tug – Twist)
V – View seal and container locking mechanisms.
V – Verify seal number for accuracy.
T – Tug on seal to make sure it is affixed properly.
T – Twist and turn seal to make sure it does not unscrew.
- Bolt seal MUST be placed on SECURE CAM position at the bottom of the center-most vertical bar on the right container door. Alternatively, if the secure cam position is NOT available, seal could be placed on the center-most/left hand locking handle on the right container door.
- After securely stuffing and sealing a container, please be sure to submit shipping instructions as early as possible to Swire Shipping, documenting the container’s contents and seal number.
Swire Shipping is commited to global supply chain security and protecting your cargo. We look forward to working with you, local governments and international bodies in this endeavor. Please contact your local Swire Shipping sales representative should you have any questions regarding our container seal policy.
To be used together with 7 point container check list
The China Navigation Co.Pte.Ltd
300 Beach Road #27-01 The Concourse Singapore 199555
Tel (65) 6603 9400 Fax (65) 6603 9401 www.swireshipping.com
Company registration number: 200917133H